Red Bull Stratos skydive smashes YouTube records
Red Bull Stratos, the event behind Felix Baumgartner's skydive from the edge of space in a record breaking stunt, reached eight million concurrent views on YouTube, marking the highest-ever concurrent viewing figure on the Google-owned site.
Baumgartner, the Austrian daredevil, yesterday (14 October) became the first skydiver to reach the speed of sound, when he jumped out of a balloon 24 miles above New Mexico, reaching a top speed of 833.9 miles per hour.
The stunt was sponsored by Red Bull and attracted eight million concurrent views on YouTube, the highest-ever concurrent viewing figures on the Google-owned site's history.
Red Bull described the stunt as the biggest piece of activity it has undertaken this year. It has been heavily promoting the event through its own sites as well as social media channels and PR activity.
According to a Twitter spokeswoman, there has been approximately 3.1m tweets sent, relating to the event.
Baumgartner said: "It was an incredible up and down today, just like it's been with the whole project. First we got off with a beautiful launch and then we had a bit of drama with a power supply issue to my visor.
"It was really brutal at times. I thought for a few seconds that I'd lost consciousness. I didn't feel a sonic boom because I was so busy just trying to stabilize myself... It was really a lot harder than I though it was going to be."Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Social media gives you wings
- Campaign Viral Chart: Bond tops chart for Coke Zero
- Six marketing lessons from Red Bull Stratos
- Campaign Viral Chart: Brad Pitt's perfume spot overpowered by Red Bull skydive
- Think BR: The new role for brands in sponsorship
- Nestlé sends KitKat into space for Felix Baumgartner
- Red Bull releases 'good luck' video as clock ticks on supersonic skydive
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Junior Brand Manager - Whiskas Online Resourcing £34,675 - £41,476 + excellent benefits , Waltham on the Wolds, Leicestershire
- Account Director - 11 Month Maternity Contract Blue Tree Recruits £40,000 pro rata, Cobham
- Customer Marketing Manager EMR £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
The console is dead: The Socialisation of Gaming
The games console as we know it is dead. When Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One earlier this week, it was clear that this was more than a device that would enable you to play Call of Duty or FIFA – this was, in Microsoft’s own words, “an all-in-one home entertainment system”.