Yahoo's interim CEO Ross Levinsohn departs
By Sarah Shearman, mediaweek.co.uk, Tuesday, 31 July 2012 09:08AM
Yahoo's global head of media Ross Levinsohn is departing the technology company, just weeks after he lost out on the chief executive role to Google veteran Marissa Mayer.
Levinsohn, who has been at Yahoo for two years, assumed the role of interim chief executive in May, after Scott Thompson resigned amid health issues and the appearance of a bogus qualification on his CV.
Levinsohn was widely tipped to take the chief executive role, after he instigated a number of changes at the business in the short time he was in charge, which won him praise.
These include settling Yahoo's patent dispute with Facebook, pulling the plug on its social news reader Livestand and appointing his former Fox Interactive Media colleague Michael Barrett as the company's new revenue officer.
However earlier this month, in a surprise move, Yahoo's board appointed Marissa Mayer, Google's vice-president of local, maps and location services to the top role.
Levinsohn is reportedly leaving the company immediately. It is not known whether he has a job to go to and Yahoo has not confirmed a replacement for him.
Levinsohn joined Yahoo in 2010 as executive vice president, Americas.
Prior to that he was managing director of investment company Fuse Capital and previously worked as president of Fox Interactive Media at News Corporation for six years.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire