Paddy Power sponsors 'the biggest athletics event in London'
Paddy Power, the bookmaker, is to sponsor an egg-and-spoon race in London, Burgundy, next week and has dubbed the event 'the largest athletics event in London this year'.
The inaugural Paddy Power Egg-and-Spoon Race next Wednesday (1 August) in London (in the French region of Burgundy) will see male and female athletes competing to carry an egg balanced in a spoon for 200 metres.
Paddy Power has booked three of JCDecaux’s billboards at London Bridge, Kings Cross and Victoria rail stations to support the race and will roll out a national campaign later this week.
Two Irish agencies, Mixtape Marketing and Social House, have collaborated on the marketing activity and the media planning and buying is by M2M.
A spokesperson for Paddy Power said: "It’s an honour to support the biggest athletics event in London this year. We’re looking forward to a competitive and fun event where our athletes can wear, eat and drink whatever they want!"
The promotion is a not too subtle reference to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, which formally begins on Friday with the opening ceremony at the Olympic Park in Stratford.
A spokesman for the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games said it was "aware" of Paddy Power's campaign but declined to comment on whether it was investigating it or whether the bookmaker had run the ad past it.
None of the Olympic sponsors are betting companies and the IOC has strict rules on betting being linked to the Olympics.
Article A5 of the IOC Code of Ethics provides that all forms of participation in, or support for betting related to the Olympic Games, and all forms of promotion of betting related to the Olympic Games are prohibited.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Video: Paddy Power's Woolfenden explains 'mischief' marketing
- Paddy Power recruits heavyweight marketing duo
- Sky's Harry's Back fantasy football campaign goes live
- LOCOG U-turns over Paddy Power 'London' ads
- Bank of England forces Paddy Power to pull Queen ad
- Chisora sports Paddy Power Y-fronts in weigh-in
- Paddy Power puts traditional Ukrainian clay pipe in spotlight
- Paddy Power agrees to pay £80,000 underpants fine
- planning Director Twist Recruitment £80000 - £100000 per annum, London
- Digital Account Manager [Beauty Account] - Excellent London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k + great benefits, Central London
- Account Manager - Superb Central London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k, Central London
- Trading Sales Mnager, major RTB platform Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + +20-30k bonus, London
- Agency digital trading desk Account Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + agency bens, London
- Nature Valley awards integrated business to start-up
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
What we can all learn from how Daft Punk won the web