Carlsberg enters UK cider market with launch of Somersby
Carlsberg is making its first foray into the UK cider market with the launch of the Somersby brand.
Somersby Cider, which will launch later this month, is targeting male and female cider drinkers within the mainstream category.
Somersby – which was originally launched in Denmark and Sweden – will not be served over ice.
It will be competing against the market leader, Heineken-owned Strongbow, along with new entrants such as AB Inbev's Stella Artois Cidre, as brands aim to tap into the growing popularity of cider.
The launch of Somersby Cider will be supported by an extensive sampling campaign running until the end of the year, with a multimillion-pound marketing drive expected early next year.
Carlsberg said Somersby was a "crisp, refreshing cider with no sweeteners, flavours or preservatives", which targets consumers who find the "current, established, mainstream ciders in the UK, both artificial and astringent".
The brand has been developed specifically for the UK market, claiming that market research shows Somersby is "significantly preferred to the market leader".
Since its launch in 2008, Somersby has rolled across 22 countries across Northern and Western Europe, alongside parts of Asia.
Darran Britton, marketing and strategy director, Carlsberg UK said: "The cider market creates a huge opportunity for Carlsberg UK to broaden our portfolio. At a time when our beer brands are growing share, the launch of Somersby also adds momentum to our business.
"Carlsberg UK has an unrivalled track record of making, marketing and selling brands loved by consumers. We are using this brand-building expertise to launch a mainstream cider in a market which is enjoying double-digit growth."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Carlsberg launches £10m campaign for Somersby
- Carlsberg unveils low-alcohol citrus lager
- Rugby Football League signs up Kingstone Press as major sponsor
- Eric Cantona stars in ad to reinvent 'self-confident' Kronenbourg 1664
- Carlsberg hires ex-Pepsi marketer Moradpour for global brand growth
- Brand Barometer: Social media performance of Carlsberg
- Carlsberg launches star-studded football-focused ad
- Stella Artois Cidre to launch pear variant for UK market
- Carlsberg targets 'beer-haters' with Copenhagen lager
- Advertiser of the Year: Stella Artois
- Stella Artois' James Watson insists the brand has shaken off negative associations
- Junior Web Designer AF Selection £16,000-£18,000, Nottingham
- Senior Strategist Direct Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 + bens, Central London
- Data Analyst for Charity Agency Twist Recruitment £30000 - £38000 per annum + Bens, West End
- Account Director ATL creative agency Twist Recruitment £42000 - £46000 per annum + Bonus, West End
- Account Executive - Global Integrated Advertising Agency Twist Recruitment £21000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus, West End
- Nature Valley awards integrated business to start-up
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- Proximity's Justin Vir joins Havas Worldwide London
What we can all learn from how Daft Punk won the web