Virgin Atlantic poaches BBC's Simon Lloyd for top marketing role
Virgin Atlantic has appointed former BBC marketer Simon Lloyd as its marketing director, ending the airline's six-month search, triggered by the departure of Paul Dickinson.
Lloyd joins the airline from his position as director of media engagement, marketing and audiences at the BBC.
He will report directly into Julie Southern, Virgin Atlantic's chief commercial officer. He begins his job on 10 July.
Dickinson, who led the airline’s £10m global marketing campaign under the strapline, "You’re airline’s either got it or it hasn’t," and the iconic 'Still Red Hot' 25th anniversary campaign, has taken up a new role at Christie’s auction house.
Lloyd has most recently been responsible for the distribution of all BBC marketing content across its platforms, from digital to TV, radio, events and shows, and was also responsible for the strategic marketing and brand leadership of BBC Sport, Radio 5Live, Children's and Learning.
Prior to this, Lloyd was the marketing director for the BBC Future Media and Digital division, which he took up after senior marketing roles at Palm, 118118 and Nokia.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Branson hits back at BA over Virgin Atlantic brand axe rumours
- Virgin to reward most frequent flyer with free trip into space
- Virgin Atlantic to revamp in-flight entertainment
- Branson tells tourists where to go in new Virgin London guide
- BBC brings in Elbow for Stadium UK Olympic campaign
- BBC Worldwide CMO steps down amid restructure
- Branson-shaped ice cubes take off on selected Virgin flights
- Virgin Atlantic to appeal against BMI takeover
- James Bond to swig a Heineken in Skyfall
- Walsh and Branson attack UK aviation policy's effect on growth
- Brand barometer: UK airlines, which one is most prominent online?
- Virgin Atlantic sales and marketing director Paul Dickinson departs
- Digital Account Director - Creative Agency - London Sphere Digital 50-70k +bonus +benefits, London, South East
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Brand Consultant Hasson Associates Up to £40k + car allowance, Buckinghamshire
- Brand Strategist - Maternity Cover at Trends, Innovation & Brand Strategy Consultancy Emma & Rachael & You £35 - £40k pro rata, Central London
- Marketing Manager Michael Page Digital GBP35000 - GBP40000 per annum, Reading
The console is dead: The Socialisation of Gaming
The games console as we know it is dead. When Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One earlier this week, it was clear that this was more than a device that would enable you to play Call of Duty or FIFA – this was, in Microsoft’s own words, “an all-in-one home entertainment system”.