Google Chrome beats IE to become the world's favourite browser
Google Chrome has overtaken Microsoft's Internet Explorer to become the world's most popular web browser, according to figures web analytics company StatCounter.
The figures show that during the past week Chrome had a 33% share of the global market, compared to Internet Explorer's 32% and Firefox's 25%. Chrome briefly overtook Internet Explorer in March.
Chrome launched three years ago and Google has put significant marketing muscle behind it, rolling out the widely-acclaimed 'Wilderness Downtown' interactive video in August 2010.
In December last year, Chrome overtook Mozilla Firefox to become the second most popular browser in the world according to StatCounter. It became the number two browser in the UK in June.
According to StatCounter Chrome usage has been peaking at the weekend. It also found that IE9, the latest version of the browser has spiked at the weekend, while IE6, 7 and 8 usage falls off, showing that the latest version of the browser is gaining home user traction.
Microsoft recently ramped up its marketing efforts for Internet Explorer, with its most significant marketing push to date, with a global campaign promoting storytelling on the web and a digital graphic novel campaign.
Gabby Hegarty, Internet Explorer lead in the UK, previously told Marketing that with Google stepping up the advertising for its Chrome browser, "we are in a much more competitive space than before".
StatCounter data is based on over 15 billion page views per month (four billion from the US and 850 million from the UK) to the StatCounter network of more than three million websites.
|Browser||Market share (%)|
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Deputy Director of Marketing and Communications University of West England £54,827, Bristol
- Junior Digital Project Manager - Big Brand ADLIB GBP20000 - GBP25000 per annum, Wiltshire
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Shopper Marketing - 5 month CONTRACT- £180-200 day rate - Central London Judi Patton going day rate, London
- Senior Account Manager: c£40k Excellent Digital and Integrated Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd c£40k , Surrey: Close to Guildford
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- ITV and Channel 4 insist they will beat declining ad market
- EE adds Dare to agency roster to develop digital
A demographic portrait of Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook users
A useful study here from the ‘Pew Research Center’ taking a look at the demographic make-up of US social media users across Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. No data on LinkedIn of Google+, but great stats all the same.