Ofcom extends review of News Corp's ownership of BSkyB
Ofcom has asked News International for documents relating to phone hacking settlements, after stepping its probe into whether News Corporation is a "fit and proper" shareholder of BSkyB.
Since setting up a special team in January Ofcom, the broadcasting regulator, had been following developments in the phone hacking scandal but it has now moved into a more active phase by asking for evidence.
Ofcom has asked News Group Newspapers (part of News International and the publisher of The Sun and defunct paper the News of the World) to supply evidence relating to its civil litigation with phone hacking victims.
It emerged last month that Ofcom set up a team, Project Apple, in January to scrutinise material emerging from the Leveson inquiry into press practices and police investigations into phone hacking and corrupt payments to public officials.
To own, be a shareholder or a director of a broadcaster must be judged to be a "fit and proper" person by Ofcom. As it is an ongoing test, Ofcom has not launched an investigation but is continuing to review their position.
News International's parent group News Corporation has a 39.1% share in BSkyB and was set to buy the rest of the company until it pulled out of the bid following the escalation of the hacking crisis in July last year.
An Ofcom spokesman said: "Ofcom is gathering evidence which may assist it in assessing whether BSkyB is and remains fit and proper to continue to hold its broadcast licences.
"As part of this ongoing assessment Ofcom has contacted News Group Newspapers requesting documents which it understands are held by the company and which may be relevant to this assessment. BSkyB is party to this correspondence.
"The documents Ofcom is seeking relate to the civil litigation cases.
"Ofcom is seeking to obtain documents that were ordered to be disclosed in the civil litigation between numerous complainants and News Group Newspapers."
This week News Corporation’s chairman and chief executive Rupert Murdoch and his son James (the company's international chief and deputy chief operating officer) appeared in front of the Leveson Inquiry.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
- Ofcom rules BSkyB 'fit and proper' to hold licence
- Murdoch to snub UK for US
- Ofcom pushes on with copyright infringement code for ISPs
- News Corp profits rise 37% despite $63m hacking scandal charge
- News Corp board expresses 'full confidence' in Rupert Murdoch
- BSkyB insists it is a 'fit' and 'proper licence holder' as profits lift 27%
- NI promotes Karin Seymour to replace Ian Dowds
- News Int appoints WPP's Grey, M/SIX, OgilvyOne and Ogilvy Change for Team News
- James Murdoch to stand down from BSkyB
- The Sun on Sunday loses around 1m in sales since launch
- TV man shakes things up at News International
- Ofcom steps up 'fit and proper' Sky probe
- James Murdoch steps down from News International to focus on TV
- Digital Account Director Dot-Gap £38k, Central London
- Search Account Director Dot-Gap £43k, Central London
- Social Media Manager Dot-Gap £35k, Central London
- Broadcast Planning & Buying - Senior Management Position PFJ £70000 per annum, London
- Digital Media Manager - Client side - Entertainment PFJ £45000 per annum, London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Nature Valley awards integrated business to start-up
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
Yahoo set to announce $1.1bn to buy Tumblr on Monday
AllThingsD is reporting that last week’s rumoured deal that would see Yahoo pay as much as $1bn buy Tumblr is set to be announced on Monday.
It quotes sources saying that the Yahoo board has approved a deal worth $1.1bn to buy blogging business Tumblr after talks with founder David Karp and investors.