BrandMAX: Simon Clift imparts global marketing experience
"A lack of clarity on rules and responsibility" and "being too internally focused" are two key reasons why global marketing campaigns fail, the former Unilever chief marketing officer Simon Clift said in today's BrandMAX keynote speech.
Clift, who has 30-years of experience working on global brands, outlined key guidelines on global marketing strategies.
He said: "We need to address the first shibboleth that a global brand doesn't need to be managed the same everywhere. You need to find as universal as possible an insight and execute it as locally as possible.
"The local company management need to be encouraged to have a global mindset, which means overcoming their biological tendency to look for differences in their markets, and actually look for similarities.
"My own experience is that the most pernicious danger is that you become too internally focused."
According to Clift, once you achieved success in key markets, others would follow more easily.
He pointed to examples of successful campaigns that were based on "enduring universal insight," which included work by Nike, Dulux, and Unilever-owned Lynx.
"It doesn't come much more universal than the fact that 15-year-old boys are obsessed with sex, and on that insight, Lynx is based."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
- The Influencers: Simon Clift gives the inside track on marketing in Brazil
- A Marketing Promotion: BrandMAX 2012 - 4 October 2012
- BrandMAX digest: 'B' is for business as well as for brands
- BrandMAX: Brands should be careful to create 'interesting' content, says Gravity Road's Eaves
- BrandMAX: Gatorade champions 'power of the big idea'
- BrandMAX: Marketing communications should be 'bold, contagious and playful'
- BrandMAX: Nike's Elworthy champions gut instinct over research
- BrandMAX: Day one tea-break guide
- BrandMAX: Tourism Queensland positive about 'Best Job' follow-up
- BrandMAX: BMW's Hudson urges marketers to 'understand levers driving your business'
- Designer / Creative Artworker David Thatcher Recruitment £25-30k, Wantage, South Oxfordshire
- Senior Account Manager / Account Director David Thatcher Recruitment 335-60k dep experience, Milton Keynes
- planning Director Twist Recruitment £80000 - £100000 per annum, London
- Digital Account Manager [Beauty Account] - Excellent London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k + great benefits, Central London
- Account Manager - Superb Central London Agency - to £30k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £30k, Central London
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Nature Valley awards integrated business to start-up
- LMFM challenges bakers to be Brave on World Baking Day
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Samsung strikes placement deal with The Wanted
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
What we can all learn from how Daft Punk won the web