Microsoft transforms Kinect into interactive ad platform
CANNES 2011 - Microsoft has unveiled an interactive ad platform for the Kinect Xbox 360, which it claims will transform TV advertising into a service controlled by voice and gesture commands.
NUads was unveiled by Mark Kroese, general manager of Microsoft’s Advertising Business Group, during the Cannes International Festival of Creativity yesterday (21 June).
The platform will allow advertisers to tailor ads to make use of the Kinect's motion and voice activation technology.
For example, when a user views an ad on Xbox Live and says "Xbox more" into the voice control device, they will receive more information about the product or a discount coupon, which will be sent to their inbox.
Users can also find a nearby retailer relating to the ad by saying "Xbox near me" and receive the location in a text message. The service also allows users to share ads they like on Twitter by using the "Xbox tweet" voice command.
In addition, TV schedules based on users' preferences can be obtained with the words "Xbox schedule". Users will also be able to submit feedback on TV shows and take part in real-time voting.
In a blog post yesterday, Kroese said the TV screen has been the "step child of the multi-screen world" for digital advertisers.
He said: "Buying traditional TV time, mostly the 30 second spot, has been the only guaranteed way to reach a broad audience. As a result, advertisers continue to buy TV, even though its effectiveness has been diminishing for years."
He said NUads will solve the lack of audience engagement in TV advertising, a "significant and costly problem that had long played TV advertisers".
Microsoft did not reveal when it plans to launch NUads or whether any advertisers have signed up.
Kinect was launched in November last year, backed by a £300m global marketing campaign.
This article was first published on brandrepublic.com
- Managing Director - Equity potential DU Group £120,000 - £150,000, South Oxfordshire
- Senior Account Manager: c£40k Digital and Integrated Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd c£40k , Surrey: Close to Guildford
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER| Independent agency | Consumer Technology | £32-40k Judi Patton £32-40k - depending on experience, London
- Account Director: c£50k + Bonus Integrated Agency (Digital, DM, Print) Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k + bonus , Central London
- Business Development Manager Fill Recruitment Ltd c£37k + generous bonus , Hampshire, Winchester
- Blippar connects disjointed families, says MEC executive
- Fans take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Twitter-powered tennis game
- Campaign Viral Chart: Samsung scores hat-trick in tech-heavy chart
- Jaguar readies global campaign for F-Type launch
- ITV and Channel 4 insist they will beat declining ad market
- EE adds Dare to agency roster to develop digital
A demographic portrait of Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook users
A useful study here from the ‘Pew Research Center’ taking a look at the demographic make-up of US social media users across Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook. No data on LinkedIn of Google+, but great stats all the same.